We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Banking Engagement value stream and drive with mastery and a lean approach.
This role sits within the Merchant Bank Tribe, who are responsible for building, growing and supporting SumUp’s new banking products.
The Engagement value stream addresses how we can build solutions to simplify financial processes for small businesses operations. You’ll help us define ways to incentivize the customer to use the product and maximize the value the customer gets out of these operations.
If you’re excited about giving small businesses access to the banking services they deserve, we’d love to hear from you!
What you’ll do
- Drive hiring and onboarding of the team
- Help the team to optimise their value delivery
- Foster and improve engineering practices and techniques
- Keep using your engineering skills by staying hands on technical challenges alongside the engineering team
- Coach engineers in designing and planning feature implementations
- Provide design feedback to enable team autonomy and a scalable and maintainable code base
- Provide code review feedback, considering both style and implementation
- Use regular 1:1 to support your team through their career growth, looking for opportunities where they can find new challenges
- Engage and improve our engineering culture by driving team strengthening activities, such as offsites, hackathons, cross-team projects, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- You have 7+ years of experience in software engineering and architecture.
- You understand the importance of cross-functional team spirit vs. traditional expert-based organizations.
- You have a proven track record in building and scaling high performing teams.
- You have experience in designing organisations from scratch or through change.
- You’re self-motivated, proactive and have excellent problem-solving skills.
- You have great English communication skills.
- You understand fundamental system architecture, design principles, data modeling and API design.
Why you should join SumUp
- You’ll play a key role in a “startup” that in turn is part of a truly global team of 2000+ people from 60+ countries, spread across 3 continents.
- You’ll be based in the heart of Berlin, one of Europe’s leading tech hubs and most vibrant cities.
- You'll have the opportunity to make an impact irrespective of your job description.
- You'll have the space to drive your career and take ownership of projects.
- Our office has a strong sense of community; we get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, sports and yoga.
- You’ll receive a budget for attending conferences and external training.
- We offer a corporate pension scheme, 28 days’ paid leave, free German classes, subsidised Urban Sports Club membership and other great benefits.
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.