Who we are
If you are looking to have an impact on the world, then read carefully because at Choco, we are moving mountains to transition the world’s food systems to become more sustainable. The food industry is an industry with essential problems, especially in food-supply-chain. We leverage technology to build the digital platform on which the global food trade will operate. We have the potential to reduce food prices, decrease food waste by 30%.
In 2018 we entered the market with our chat-based ordering app and had drastically changed the way businesses work and order with their suppliers. Our founders have helped build companies such as Zalando (IPO’d), Lazada (sold to Alibaba) and Foodora (sold to DeliveryHero). We recently raised one of the largest Series A funding rounds in European history.
Technology is at the core of our work. We are product-minded builders, architects, coders, bug-hunters and designers. We deliver the needed change via our mobile and web apps using cutting-edge tools, modern engineering practices and always keeping software quality on our radar. Of course, it’s not only about working with top-notch tools but keep hiring excellent engineers too.
Join us in leading the world’s transition to sustainable food systems.
What you will do
Here at Choco, we like to use the space shuttle as a metaphor for our engineering work. Now, you will join and help us bring the shuttle to the moon. Our mobile app is one of the pillars of our business and we continuously work on making it stand out on the market. You will work with your cross-functional squad to develop and launch new features to our restaurant and supplier users. These features will deliver immediate value to their business, make their daily operations easier and will contribute to the reduction of food waste in several countries.
- On a daily level you work with developers, product managers, designers, web engineers and QA and actively take part in product discussions. We will want to hear your ideas on how to make the app even better.
- From day one you will have a lot of trust, autonomy and responsibility. Most likely your code will be in production during the first week or two.
- You will create an engaging UI together with product designers and user experience researchers.
- You will improve our Android client, test, deploy and benchmark your own code and participate in code reviews.
- You will grow with your team to become an even greater engineer. We are happy to mentor share and listen.
Our tech stack that delivers our Android app:
Kotlin, RxJava, GraphQL, Git, MVVM, Clean architecture
What you will need to have an impact with us:
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS or have any other proven experience in software development
- A senior level engineer skill set, at least 4+ years of hands-on experience developing Android apps
- Experience with modern design patterns such as MVP, MVVM, etc.
- Experience with RxJava, Coroutines and Architecture Components
- Proficient understanding of Git.
- Experience with AWS
- Care about writing high-quality code and testing it well
You will impress us even more if you have
- Experience with GraphQL
- Familiarity with continuous integration.
- Applied knowledge of software engineering best practices and software development methodologies. e.g. Scrum
What it’s like to be a Chocorian
You will join a company filled with smart, humble and hard-working people. We are a start-up where people put the team first, deeply trust each other, take ownership and truly understand what they are working for day by day.
You will join a group of people from all around the world who share their experiences and contribute in their areas of expertise and learn from each other.
You will join a passionate team that shares the same values and vision, a circle of friends that not only works hard but also laughs with- and cheers for each other.
With that said, it is absolutely crucial to find people who share this with us and who deeply identify themselves with the values of a Chocorian.
We invite you to take part in the following selection process:
Introduction call: a Tech Recruiter will tell you more about Choco, our Tech Org and get to know your work, background, interests and you as a person better.
Technical interview: our Android Chapter Lead will have a technical deep dive with you. No coding, no whiteboard here. We want to map your Android engineering fundamentals, knowledge or architectures, Android SDK, Kotlin and testing knowledge.
Tech challenge at home: now is the time to show us your coding skills via a task from the comfort of your home. Our tech challenge models a simple Android app and it takes about 3-6 hours to complete.
Interview with the team: a Team Lead and Product Manager will check your fit to the team and how you collaborate with the non-tech side of the organization.
Cultural interview: our engineering manager will have a chat with you about our culture and checks what can be your non-technical contribution to Choco.
OFFER: your interviewers will make a decision together regarding your offer.
A stellar onboarding and the smartest team in the foodspace will be waiting for you ! 🚀