Do you enjoy software development and working directly with customers? Do you enjoy coaching and growing engineers? Are you excited about working across a broad spectrum of domains including Cloud Native, DevOps, IoT, Machine Learning, and High Scale Compute?
The Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) team is a global engineering organization that works directly with customers looking to leverage the latest technologies to address their toughest challenges. We work closely with our customers’ engineers to develop code to jointly solve their biggest challenges to accelerate progress in their organization. In the process, we help shape the future of our own platforms by partnering with our product groups to improve them. We pride ourselves on making contributions to open source and make our platforms easier to adopt.
We sit side-by-side with our customers to collaboratively innovate custom solutions tailored to solve their challenges. Our work involves the development of high-impact, open source software assets that contribute to the Microsoft platform that are broadly applicable. Important to this role, you will be enabling your program managers to apply their skills, creativity and aspirations to the benefit of the customers and advance their careers.
If you have any questions about this role or about roles like it, please reach out to the hiring manager: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisrisner/
- Guiding and mentoring a team of 5 to 6 Software Engineers.
- Giving thoughtful feedback, nurturing a rigorous engineering environment, and providing context for team members to grow.
- Exhibiting technical leadership throughout the broader CSE organization, with the Microsoft Product teams and the OSS community.
- Working hands-on with your team and our customers through design and implementation, setting examples for good engineering practices and coding along the way.
- Continuously improving our ability to deliver quality solutions through evolving our engineering process and technical capabilities.
- At least 10+ years of experience shipping or running production systems and/or software.
- Strong service delivery experience including architecture and coding, and ideally building cloud services.
- We do not require deep expertise in all software stacks that customers use. However, we do look for people who have significant expertise in one software stack (and preferably more).
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or the equivalent
- Enjoy travel and comfortable with regional travel up to 20%
At Microsoft we are seeking people who have a passion for the positive impact technology can have on the communities and for making a difference in the world. Within CSE, we have an informal and flexible work environment and you’ll be welcome to work from home, our offices, customer sites– wherever is best for you to get your job done. We invest in your health, wellness and financial future by offering a competitive package including a wide range of benefits built around your personal needs and those close to you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.