Reach out to Mariana @ firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in applying.
Who we are:
Twitter is looking for an exceptional software engineer to join the Capacity Engineering team.
You will lead a team of software engineers and data scientists to build a new capacity management platform to predict demand, track supply, prioritize allocation, and examine utilization across a fleet of hundreds of thousands of physical servers in our private cloud and an expanding footprint in public cloud. You’ll build backend services to help application service owners visualize and plan their capacity needs and prediction models for short and long-term demand projections to drive the necessary supply. Collaborating with business leaders, Finance, and Engineering you’ll deliver deep insights into how budgets are spent and capacity utilized to understand the return on investments. You’ll provide Finance and Supply actionable recommendations about trends to inform long term strategic planning for the business.
What you’ll do:
- Solve the diverse and conflicting requirements of capacity management for Engineering, Supply, and Finance.
- Product minded engineering: Ensure the right product is built by knowing the “why”. Talk with customers to understand their needs. Challenge existing processes and mindsets and understand tradeoffs in the business and in engineering. Drive rapid product iteration. Maintain strong ownership.
- Technical leadership: Lead a small, focused team of engineers. Know the “what” to drive technical decisions to avoid tech debt and minimize complexity. Own the overall software architecture and success. Create effective engineering processes for the engineering team to make the “how” successful. Maintain the team's focus by prioritizing work. Mentor junior engineers to excel.
- Build collaborative relationships with partner teams including numerous service owners, Finance, Supply, Datacenter Operations, and Hardware Engineering.
- Build a capacity management platform with various UIs, data pipelines, backend services, databases, visualizations and reporting, and integrations with other parts of Twitter’s infrastructure.
- Provide a continuously updated demand plan with various time horizons to inform Supply and Finance.
- Build dashboards and reports to inform business leaders of key performance indicators.
Who you are:
- You have a demonstrated product minded approach across multiple successful projects.
- You have a diverse skill set covering most of full stack development, user interfaces, data analysis and visualization, data pipelines, and relational databases.
- You enjoy collaboration both within a team and with other teams and have a track record of partnering with diverse teams on cross-functional projects.
- Some experience with capacity planning either at the individual service or platform level would be desirable but it is not required.
- Some experience with data analysis and statistical modeling would be helpful.
- 5+ years of development experience.
- High proficiency in full stack tools covering frontend frameworks, databases, and data pipelines.
- Experience in Python or Go is beneficial.
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science or related field or equivalent industry experience
- Prior experience in a technical leadership role, either as a formal tech lead or informally on individual projects.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.