SUSE is seeking a talented Software Engineer to join our Kubernetes engineering team. This team builds and delivers the industry-leading Kubernetes distributions K3s and RKE2, while also helping to integrate them with our other cloud-native open-source products and projects.
Our organization within SUSE is responsible for the Rancher product suite. We build open-source software that addresses the operational and security challenges of managing cloud-native platforms like Kubernetes while providing DevOps teams with integrated tools for running containerized workloads. Our flagship product SUSE Rancher has over 100 million downloads to date and is managing mission-critical services at Fortune 500 companies and many other organizations large and small around the world.
In this role, you will be part of a team of passionate engineers working to build and release our Kubernetes distributions and integrate them with the rest of our product suite. Our goal is to make Rancher the premiere tool for deploying, managing, and operating Kubernetes and containerized workloads across on-prem datacenters, public clouds, and the edge.
You will be required to adapt quickly and bring insightful contributions both to design and implementation processes, constantly raising the quality bar while pragmatically adding value to the product offering.
You will be responsible for working with customers and community contributors to identify problems, turn them into good reports, track progress, and provide actual solutions and feedback to our users.
You will participate in daily video-conference team meetings, collaborate with your colleagues via real-time chat, GitHub and other various tools, ultimately presenting your technical achievements to the relevant stakeholders in iterative time boxes.
SUSE, the world’s largest independent open source software company, powers digital transformation with true open source technologies for the enterprise that simplify, modernize and accelerate traditional, cloud and edge solutions. SUSE collaborates with partners, communities and customers to deliver and support solutions that enable mission-critical business outcomes. SUSE’s container and cloud platforms, software-defined infrastructure, and artificial intelligence and edge computing solutions allow customers to create, deploy and manage workloads anywhere – on premises, hybrid and multi-cloud. For more information, visit www.suse.com.
We are looking for you to:
- Be a great person to work with, promote teamwork, and value fearless feedback, both giving and receiving.
- Be willing to learn new technologies you may not be familiar with. We know no one can be an expert in every aspect of Kubernetes or the broader cloud native ecosystem, but we are looking for someone who is open to new challenges.
- Collaborate on the future of our Kubernetes ecosystem, work with upstream project communities, and help maintain alignment with customer needs, market trends, and the overall Rancher product story.
- Be productive and collaborative while keeping a focus on maintaining high quality standards.
SUSE looks for passionate engineers who are motivated to make an impact for their team and our customers. The ideal candidate will have past experience working as a Software Engineer in the domain of Kubernetes, container/virtual machine orchestration, and/or distributed systems.
We expect you to be:
- Knowledgeable in the Go programming language, including the corresponding ecosystem and best practices.
- Comfortable in modern software engineering paradigms and distributed systems.
- Confident in the use of Linux, shell scripting, Git and other open source development tooling.
- Familiar with or willing to quickly learn the Kubernetes code base and architecture.
- Skilled in the authoring and use of containers, including building new container images.
- Willing to engage with open source communities, both our own and those of upstream projects.
- Aware of the range of projects and technologies used in the CNCF Landscape.
- Proficient in the English language, both verbally and written.