SUSE is seeking a talented Senior Software Engineer Manager to lead our Kubernetes distributions engineering team. This team is responsible for delivering K3s and RKE, the Kubernetes distributions that are at the core of our SUSE Rancher product suite.
Our organizational mission is to build open-source software that addresses the operational and security challenges of managing cloud-native platforms like Kubernetes while providing DevOps teams with integrated tools for running containerized workloads. Our flagship product SUSE Rancher has over 100 million downloads to date and is managing mission-critical services at Fortune 500 companies and many other organizations large and small around the world.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about creating, leading, and building a team of talented engineers to reliably deliver and innovate on our Kubernetes distributions. They can adapt to change quickly and are excited to make a big impact at a rapidly growing group within SUSE. They are deeply technical and can lead efforts to bring Kubernetes to new frontiers such as the edge, highly secure and compliance-driven environments, telcos, and more.
In this role, you will lead a team of talented and motivated engineers that can excel and behave in a startup-like environment. Your team will do what is necessary to plan, design, implement and deliver the features and products of the highest quality. You and your team will be expected to work with the open-source community to empower Kubernetes users.
In this role you’ll:
- Provide direct and ongoing leadership for a team of individual contributors designing and developing new products, enhancements, and updates.
- Collaborate closely with PM, Support, and the open-source and cloud-native communities to build leading technologies for SUSE Rancher.
- Organize engineering resources, define, and drive engineering schedules for high-quality product delivery.
- Be the technical lead for feature designs and be willing to debug issues with your team.
- Work with other engineering teams, customers, and our world-class support team to help troubleshoot and solve customer issues related to our full Kubernetes stack, including host OS, container runtime, networking, storage, and the Kubernetes control plane.
- Attract, develop, mentor, and provide growth guidance to engineers on your team.
- Be able and willing to evangelize your features or products via conferences, meetups, blogs, etc.
- Lead K3s’s journey as a CNCF project from incubating to sandbox, and ultimately graduated.
Location and time zone:
The location for this position is flexible and includes full-time remote, but the team and broader organization primarily work Pacific time-zone hours. You'll be asked to accommodate these hours for meetings and collaboration. When we return to in-office work, office locations will include Tempe, AZ, Cupertino, CA, Vancouver, B.C., and Provo, UT.
SUSE, the world’s largest independent open source software company, powers digital transformation with true open source technologies for the enterprise that simplify, modernize and accelerate traditional, cloud and edge solutions. SUSE collaborates with partners, communities and customers to deliver and support solutions that enable mission-critical business outcomes. SUSE’s container and cloud platforms, software-defined infrastructure, and artificial intelligence and edge computing solutions allow customers to create, deploy and manage workloads anywhere – on premises, hybrid and multi-cloud. For more information, visit www.suse.com.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or 4-year equivalent
- 10+ years of software engineering experience in building and delivering enterprise or open-source software
- Proven track record as a strong and effective engineering manager with 3+ years of leading and growing successful teams
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong leadership skills, including coaching, team building, and conflict resolution.
- Advanced project management skills including time and risk management, resource prioritization, and project structuring.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication skills catered to a wide variety of audiences (e.g. written, verbal, presentation).
- Advanced multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Docker, and other container runtime technologies.
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows Operating System