Our engineering culture is the same across all our engineering offices: in Amsterdam, this is no different from San Francisco or our other locations. Amsterdam is one of the largest mobile engineering offices outside of our Bay Area headquarters. We are a diverse group, with talented people from over 30 countries working together.
Engineers working at Uber are highly autonomous, involved in decisions impacting the business and systems. We have a high bar for engineering quality, which starts by a transparent planning process before we write code - any engineer can get involved here. We have dedicated teams building efficient developer tools and keep improving our iOS monorepo. We are big on constructive code reviews, accompany business logic with automated tests and have robust deployment and beta testing processes in place. We balance code and architecture quality with good execution speed, supporting the continued growth of Uber.
Mobile architecture for many of the Uber apps is based on the cross-platform RIBs architecture which we have open sourced, several mobile engineers from the Amsterdam office contributing. We write iOS code mostly in Swift, in a few cases using Objective-C. We use Needle for dependency injection and RxSwift for asynchronous event based programming. We frequently share work and learnings on iOS and mobile on our engineering blog and our engineers sometimes talk at iOS conferences - like two of our Amsterdam iOS engineers speaking at NSSpain.
Engineering managers at Uber are also hands-on with coding and architecture - you can bump into some our Amsterdam managers speaking at mobile conferences. Product managers here are also technical, many of them having been engineers in the past. Other people engineers interact with daily, in the office include data scientists, designers and UX researchers.
What You'll Do
As a Mobile Engineer on the payments team, you'll:
- Design and build the payments experience on mobile, tailored for all geographies and products like Rider, Driver, Eats, Freight, JUMP Bikes and other, new Uber products.
- Write best in class code and contribute to a clean and continuously evolving mobile architecture, many of this based on RIBs.
- Work with an energetic and fun group of mobile, backend, frontend engineers, as well as product managers, designers, data scientists, user researchers.
- Influence other engineers, teams and product managers, impacting the full product lifecycle.
- Collaborate with teams in different offices, such as the Mobile Platform, Data Science, Payments Risk and Finance.
- Keep the bar high on sustainable engineering by following best practices, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing, and monitoring.
About the team
As the Payments team, we are building next-generation payments experiences for millions of daily customers. We are changing how people pay for Uber services and how partners get paid. You would work together with designers, UX researchers and talented engineers to build new, innovative and scalable solutions that delight people. Payments is a key part of Uber - working on this team means collaborating and learning from many, different and interesting teams.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
What You'll Need
- A passion for designing, implementing and shipping beautiful user experiences.
- 4 or more years of experience with mobile development.
- Hands-on knowledge of iOS and strong knowledge of Swift or Objective-C.
- Experience building and shipping consumer-facing products.
- A collaborative approach, being open to help team members.
- Applied knowledge of software engineering and best practices such as testing, documentation and code reviews.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write engineering documents.
Bonus Points If You Have
- Hands-on knowledge of RxSwift, understanding how it works under the hood and best practices around it.
- Experience in Android development or interest in learning Android - with RIBs, the architecture is strikingly similar to iOS.
- Experience or interest in backend development - both at the API level, as well as with services. Our mobile and backend engineers work closely together and we encourage people contributing in multiple domains.
- Applied knowledge of coding best practices that minimize tech and architecture debt.
- Experience shipping and operating apps at scale to a large number of users, across several geographies and locales.
- Experience in the Fintech or payments domains.