About the Role
As a Software Engineer on Uber's Sofia Engineering team you will dig into the complex but rewarding world of money systems, real-time tax calculation, invoicing and reporting, all at extensive scale. Our work helps our partners be globally compliant and Uber be competitive in highly regulated and complex industries such as transportation, logistics, and food.
What You'll Do
- Contribute at a global level. Although we are based in Sofia, we work on integration for the overall, global Uber platform. Our systems support the entirety of Uber's tax and compliance worldwide.
- Lead scale & reliability. Our solutions support Uber's always-on marketplace. Maintaining this platform at scale requires constant investment in security, reliability and monitoring tooling.
- Innovate. Growth brings new complexity and new challenges every day.
What's in it for you
- Join one of the most exciting companies in the world and directly impact the way people experience their cities
- Work with a best-in-class engineering team, with plenty of opportunities for growth
- Competitive compensation including stock options
- Activity-based workspaces, with a variety of spaces to cultivate creativity, increase productivity and improve health and wellness.
- Parental leave and multiple additional parenting benefits
- Private Medical & Dental Insurance
- Daily meals in the office
- Wellness Benefits and gym allowance
- Monthly phone allowance
- Flexible working arrangements
About the Team
Our team is responsible for several key capabilities associated with a trip or a delivery: from real-time tax rate calculation to issuing all related documents that are substantial for our riders and partners (receipts, invoices, tax reports), to providing our partners with real-time and easy access to their tax data from within 3rd party partner applications like Intuit, Stride and HR Block. The platforms that we build need to be highly scalable (handling data from dozens of millions of trips per day), highly available (our partners need visibility to their documents & data 24/7) and highly flexible (Uber is operating in 80+ countries around the world, each with its own compliance requirements)
Visit our Sofia Engineering website here.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about our team.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
What You'll Need
- Intimate knowledge of the entire web stack and how each piece impacts performance and reliability
- Advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and of OOP patterns
- Dedication to quality, performance, and efficiency
- Experience in taking ownership
- Design and business insight
- Fluency in English and Bulgarian
- Some level of understanding of fault-tolerant systems and multi-datacenter / cloud architectures
- Experience with continuous integration & deployment