At Yelp, it’s our mission to connect people with great local businesses. Yelp’s unique dataset contains billions of interactions between users and businesses around the globe, from a review of a coffee shop to requesting a repair quote with a photo of a leaky faucet. Data Scientists at Yelp work to make sense of these interactions to deliver impactful analyses and products to our users, business partners and the general public.
The Data Science & Analytics team performs analyses, builds models, and designs experiments that directly impact Yelp’s products and users. Our teams sit in Yelp’s central product management organization and work directly with cross-functional leaders to understand quantitatively how our products are performing and where the largest opportunities are. We are adept at tasks like modeling user preferences, inference from user and marketplace experiments, and generating insights about the health of local economies. With diverse backgrounds and expertise, we strive for learning and growth in a collaborative environment.
We are looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join the Core Local Business team. The team is centrally located within our product organization, and focused on analytics, research, and inference support for product and engineering stakeholders. The Core Local Business team partners with product and engineering teams building the Yelp for Business Owners user experience, from claiming a free business listing, to paid product acquisition, and long-term engagement and retention. Lead Data Scientists at Yelp are technical and cultural leaders within their teams, and collectively influence the development of shared tools, infrastructure, and processes across the organization.
Where You Come In
- Join a team of Data Scientists and Data Science Analysts that develop analytical frameworks and reliable measurement strategies for Yelp products.
- Design, execute, and analyze complex business and user experiments.
- Partner with other senior Data Scientists and Data Engineers to set the vision for and develop our experimentation platform.
- Devise and evaluate models for diverse business needs, such as identifying growth opportunities, estimating the impact of new features on our platforms, and personalizing the user experience.
- Proactively research and build ETL pipelines for product and marketplace metrics.
- Communicate key insights from analyses, experiments and data products to stakeholders.
What It Takes to Be Successful
- MS/PhD in quantitative field and 3+ years of industry experience in a senior quantitative role.
- Ability to apply statistical, analytical and technical expertise to product and business problems.
- Prior experience structuring and leading impactful data science projects independently.
- Oral and written communication skills to mentor colleagues, and work effectively with partners on engineering, product and business teams.
- Expertise in SQL, and R or Python for data analysis and platform development.
- Enthusiasm for building a culture of learning and development.
Nice to Have
- Product analytics experience with small businesses.
- Prior industry experience building online experimentation and machine learning platforms.
Local businesses are turning to Yelp because we’re uniquely positioned to help them reach their customers during these challenging times. Our Engineering & Product teams have responded by quickly identifying their needs and building innovative products and features to support them. Our commitment to connecting people with great local businesses has never been stronger.