Want to join a team where your work makes a significant impact? Yelp is the richest source of local business data and user-generated content in the world. Our backend engineers use that data to power our websites and mobile apps. As a remote backend engineer, you’ll work closely with our mobile and web application developers to bring our 200M+ reviews to millions of users.
Backend engineers take on a diverse set of challenges across Yelp engineering. Do you want to make a positive impact on Yelpers looking for the best local businesses? Build products for business owners to get the most out of Yelp? Take on some of the most meaningful problems in distributed computing and API design? We'd love to share more about how our agile team creates an amazing experience for millions of users.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages creative solutions to problems. All new engineers deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor and team. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
This opportunity is fully remote and does not require you to be located in the Toronto area. We welcome applicants from throughout Ontario.
Where You Come In:
- You will build new features on top of our Service Oriented Architecture.
- You will iterate quickly using Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment principles.
- You will be empowered to articulate a technical vision and execute it.
- You will give back by mentoring other engineers and sharing the skills you learn.
- You will collaborate with team members and engineers across the company to design elegant systems.
What it Takes to Succeed:
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience.
- You have an understanding of and interest in elegant API designs.
- You have relevant experience in at least one server-side programming language.
- You’re excited about the challenges of scalability, reliability, and performance.