Session: Learnings from the migration of 100k+ lines of Java code
It is challenging to decide when it's worth making a code migration and how much effort to allocate.
This story is about our successful long-term language migration and our learnings from the results and the process, such as:
- Leveraging both senior's and junior's abilities.
- The challenges in terms of tracking and communication.
- Finding points of improvement and obsolete features.
- The resulting improvements in developer experience.
- Tracking and inter-team communication are essential tools in a long term project
- The process is important: opportunity to improve juniors and new hires ramp-up
- The process is important: exposing code improvements and obsolete features
- Developer experience (DX) matters in the path for delivering a high quality product
Bárbara is a software Engineer who has been working for four and a half years on the development of Cadence's best-in-class Formal Verification Tool, Jasper RTL Apps. Besides developing in C++, she has joined initiatives aiming to bring quality to developers' hands and improve developers' experience. She is also passionate about experimenting with creating art through programming.