Session: Strategic Skills for Product Leaders
You can learn any framework like OKRs for example but to be the best product leader you need more than that! You need the strategic skills to lead without authority, to inspire and to empower. Let’s talk about how to become the most successful product leader while balancing stakeholder, team member and customer needs easily.
- You need to communicate the purpose, direction, and team norms and values clearly and often. If you sound like a broken record, you're doing it right.
- Anything strategic relates to identifying long-term goals and the means to achieve them. Anything tactical is aimed at small-scale actions. Your strategic skills are what we often refer to as soft skills.
- Examples for strategic skills are clear communication, writing, presenting, giving developmental feedback, story telling, facilitation, or coaching.
- Your mindset and emotional intelligence are the keys to making you really great at these skills.
- You need to balance tactical and strategic skills to be the best product person.
Lisa is a product person with a strong focus on inclusive and empowering product management. She believes the most effective product leaders excel at strategic skills like empathy, listening and facilitation. Put your team first and trust they will put your customer first. Her 8 years of experience range from early-stage startups to corporates in Europe and Canada across industries like retail, ad tech, e-commerce, and fintech.