Session: How to become a successful leader of engineers
In this talk I will discuss:
- How to make the career progression from engineer to engineering leadership
- Key responsibilities of successful engineering leadership
- The traits and skills of an effective leader that you can learn and perform while being your authentic self.
- What good engineering leadership means - what you can give to your project, stakeholders, and team.
- Reflections on my own journey and learnings from individual contributor software developer to leading teams to leading departments.
- The skills and actions to successfully deliver projects as a leader
- How to leverage your own natural skills and abilities to lead
- The wholistic aspects of engineering leadership including project delivery, stakeholder management, and team management.
- How to lead the growth your engineers on and off project.
Madeline currently co-leads the Engineering Department at MetaLab. There she helps the growth and development of wide range of engineers in web, full-stack, iOS, and Android as they progress in their career to build and deliver complex solutions. She was recognized in 2017 a national Canadian 30 software developers under 30 award for her contributions on product. She has contributed to shipping software on products like Notarize, Walmart, Tempest, from in-the-code work to high level leadership direction.