Session: How to Influence Your Manager and Win Promotions
Individual contributors often underestimate how important it is to manage up and have a productive relationship with their manager. In this talk, we'll discuss the most common mistakes everyone makes while managing up. We'll also examine some ways you can flex your leadership skills and go after that promotion.
- How to be open and direct when communicating with your manager
- How to invest in 1:1 meetings to ensure that you get the best support you can
- How to use feedback to grow
- How to make your work visible and appreciated
- How to adopt a problem-solving attitude while managing up
Zaharenia has over 15 years of experience, with more than half of them spent focusing on product design and enterprise software. After quitting her job as the Vice President of Design at Workable, she focused in supporting managers of all functions through coaching and training. She loves reading and writing about management at her newsletter, Leading by Design (leadingbydesign.email) and her blog at sugarenia.com.