Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Metrolinx's Innovation and Information Technology group supports female team members via "Go Tech Women" an affinity group for women in Information Technology, led by our Chief Information Officer.
If you enjoy technology and innovation, value diversity, appreciate work/balance and are looking for an opportunity to make a better world via public service, Metrolinx would like to hear from you!
Reporting to the Manager (Innovation & Automation, I&IT), we are looking for a well-rounded Lead DevOps/Automation Engineer to join our Innovation & Automation Team. In this role, you will focus on defining the automation through Infrastructure as Code (IaC) crafting, Patch and automation strategies, Network, Virtualization, and Storage Provisioning, Identify and automate mundane tasks, developing frameworks, setting up guidelines and processes to bring efficiency across the entire Innovation & Information Technology organization.
The Lead Infrastructure Automation / Lead DevOps Engineer works in a cross-functional product development team that includes Infrastructure Engineers, Developers, QAs, Designers and Product Managers. The primary purpose of the role is to lead and empower our Innovation & Automation Team to deliver and support infrastructure services through the supply of reusable automation, tooling, and education.
What will I be doing?
- Lead is a hands-on resource that leads a team working on cutting-edge automation technologies such as Ansible, Tower, Terraform, Chef.
- Create and implement standards for coding, reusable code, architecture, etc. and guide the team to follow the same.
- The lead will analyze the automation requirements, code, implement and enhance Windows, Linux Server patching, VM Provisioning, Environment Spins, Network, Disk Capacity, OS Hardening, Common Requests, integration with QA automation frameworks. Integrate these into sophisticated continuous deployment pipelines etc. Develop tooling to automate repeated tasks.
- Built out a modern, scalable IaC architecture through best practices and constantly look for ways to help improve and save engineers' time and system reliability.
- Infrastructure designing, integrating and deploying multi-hypervisor based cloud and Kubernetes based container platforms. The focus will be on Ansible, Terraform, containers orchestration, and cloud technologies
- Define, develop, and maintain the infrastructure, tools and automation for various Infrastructure components such as capacity management, server patching, and VM deployment automation.
- Lead IT automation team to complete project planning and budgeting; define deliverable structure and content; facilitate buy-in of proposed solutions from all levels at the client
- Oversee all aspects of the development and delivery of automation applications including establishing metrics, and developing new tools and processes to ensure quality goals are met
- Partner with technology team experts (infrastructure, solution engineering, security, data) but challenge the traditional approaches to solutions
- Guides team to work with key stakeholders to assess technical requirements (functional and non functional), current state environment and technology choices to evaluate solution alternatives that meet business needs
- Defines procedures, standards and processes to cover all areas of the Automation program for a specific portfolio or business group
- Manages resources on a project basis including third party consultants
- Completion of a degree in Bachelors degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum 8 years’ Combination experience in:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in IT within a Lean Agile delivery environment. Minimum three years of experience in leading a team, designing, and deploying automation infrastructure using Ansible Engine, Ansible Tower.
- Must have experience in Windows Server, Linux (RHEL/CentOS) and Azure cloud; ideally automating resources with code
- Must have technical experience with one or more virtualization and cloud technologies like VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure
- Proven technical leadership capability, and a focus on design and delivery of Innovation and Automation solutions
- An understanding of architecture styles, technology trends, agile delivery methodologies
- Broad and deep technology knowledge, including past hands-on experience with Scripting and Coding experience in one or more of the following languages used for Automation: Java, Python, Perl, Shell + , TCL.