Where You Will Work
The National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) Systems Engineering Directorate (SED) leads the end-to-end integration of space, ground, operations, launch, and technology insertion activities for the NRO to ensure mission success of the Nation’s reconnaissance satellite systems on behalf of the Director of the NRO. Intelligence provided by space reconnaissance platforms delivers unique information to national leadership and tactical components in support of national security objectives. National space systems are undergoing significant enhancements to improve collection and manage a dynamic threat environment. SED is leading the NROs transition to model-based system engineering (MBSE) and digital engineering (DE) to deliver digital models more effectively accounting for new platforms, addressing unique collection requirements, making architectural adjustments and launching systems on shorter timelines. If you want to be a leader of a generational evolution within the NRO, this job can be game changing for you!
SED’s Office of Digital Engineering (ODE) develops, maintains, and manages digital models of NRO systems that provide NRO program offices and senior decision makers enterprise system performance and acquisition analysis. ODE also provides an NRO enterprise digital environment and the engineering tools required for support. ODE also develops and manages descriptive modeling governance, best practices, data management, and model management activities
SED is seeking a results driven and motivated officer to serve as a General Digital Engineer within ODE. The position supports the transformation of NRO in support of MBSE, DE, Digital Acquisition & Digital Operations. The incumbent will lead a variety of digital engineering projects covering multiple areas to drive solutions to difficult NRO DE problem sets.
The NRO Cadre is collecting resumes for consideration against current and future opportunities for Full Performance (GG-12/GG-13), General Digital Engineer, occupational series 0801/1301/1501. For more information on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) occupational series, click here.
Your resume may be considered for other positions which your skills and experience may be a good match.
This is a full-time position that is open from April 4, 2023 to April 18, 2023. Resumes must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST on April 18, 2023.
What You Will Be Doing
- Evaluates the value and applicability of new or improved technology, strategies, trends, or applications in digital engineering and model-based systems engineering to streamline NRO processes/business functions.
- Manages daily programmatic functions and coordinates with mission partners across the IC and DoD, to align DE efforts. Oversees work of assigned FFRDC and SETA staff.
- Plans, organizes, and leads teams to develop MBSE and DE implementations to meet NRO goals. Works across NRO D&Os to develop solutions to meet engineering needs with integrated models from multiple engineering disciples.
- Assess and update current NRO instructions, processes, and policies to incorporate digital engineering methods and processes, coordinating across D&Os where appropriate.
- Develops standard operating procedures, modeling methods, and best practices to improve data interoperability, transparency, and quality across the enterprise.
- Performs various technical and advisory functions relative to Digital Engineering, MBSE, Digital Acquisitions and/or Digital Operations. Assigns tasks and provides overseeing work of project segment members; reviewing work for technical quality, furnishing advice, or instructions to individual employees on technical work matters.
- Briefs management regularly at weekly and quarterly events. Maintains interactions with contractor personnel to evaluate and correct development activities or provide technical and managerial consultations to team managers when problem areas arise.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What You Need
- Baccalaureate or Graduate Degree: technical or scientific field (STEM) such as engineering, physics, physical science, chemistry, mathematics, statistics, operations research, engineering management, or computer science. Individual occupations have specific educational requirements but a STEM degree is prerequisite for all. Actual degree and courses required will be determined based on qualification of individual for the position.
- Expertise in advanced multidisciplinary engineering or related engineering/technical discipline, concepts, principles, practices, standards, methods, techniques, materials, and equipment sufficient to apply experimental theories, principles, and concepts to project development, execution, and advisory services.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and management skills to conceptualize and effectively lead complex analytic projects with limited supervision; ability to work collegially to find a consensus solution when views differ among agencies, and ability to effectively work independently and within a team or collaborative environment.
- Excellent communications skills, including ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels of leadership and ability to give effective oral presentations at levels appropriate to and tailored for different target audiences.
- Proven critical thinking skills and reasoning skills as demonstrated by experience in preparing analytical assessments and other written products with emphasis on clear organization; concise, logical presentation; to include an assessment or recommendation supported by data or research.
- Program Management or technical management expertise is highly desirable (i.e., cost, performance, schedule, and technical reporting) to accomplish the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Experience with NRO missions, programs, management processes and operations.
- Sound understanding of intelligence satellite systems.
Qualifying experience may have been acquired in any public or private sector job, but will clearly demonstrate past experience in the application of the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully perform and is typically in or directly related to the duties of the position as described above. Experience must be reflected in your resume.
Who May Apply
- This position is open to the public.
- Federal government employees MUST currently be at the grade level or higher as indicated in this announcement. This is NOT a promotion opportunity for current Federal government employees. If selected for the position, Federal government employees will transition laterally at their current grade level and step.
- Federal applicants who exceed the advertised grade may voluntarily request acceptance at the lower grade per IAW DoD 1400.25 Volume 2006.
- The NRO is only accepting external applicants for this job announcement. Current NRO Cadre employees should apply internally.
- Overtime Statement: MAY be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Travel Statement: MAY be required to travel in military or commercial aircraft to perform temporary duty assignments.
- Financial Disclosure: MAY be required to file an OGE Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, upon appointment and will be required to file annually.
- Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) coded positions: If selected for a DAWIA coded position, the incumbent must meet appropriate certification requirements IAW the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) no later than 24 months after accepting this position. Individual shall maintain, at a minimum 80 continuous Learning Points every 24 months via the services acquisition management system. DAWIA requirements may be located at the Defense Acquisition University website.
- Emergency Essential: Certain positions MAY be deemed emergency essential and incumbents must be willing to meet all position requirements.
Develop, acquire, launch, and operate the nation's space-based intelligence,
surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities to secure and expand the U.S. intelligence advantage