As part of our vision to become a truly global tech company, we are building out local, autonomous, cross-functional teams that can take an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution. Payments processing is the core of the SumUp services and ecosystem. As a Backend Engineer, you will help us form a team with a clear mission to design a brand-new, scalable and accurate reconciliation platform.
We believe in building projects around motivated individuals, giving them the environment and support they need, and trusting them to get the job done.
Squad Tech stack: Java, Spring Boot, Kafka, PostgreSQL, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Ruby
What you'll do
- Work in a cross-functional team to understand SumUp reconciliation process and design a platform that fits it’s needs.
- Maintain the current reconciliation system.
- Help your team to deliver business value by taking decisions related to backend and actively participating in the product discussions
- Provide comprehensive documentation, good test coverage, and improve code quality
- Collaborate with other software developers, QA and DevOps engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continuous integration, and support for the software that we deliver
- Actively participate in code reviews with other software engineers
You’ll be great for this role if
- You have previous experience as a backend engineer
- You have a relevant experience with one or more of the programming language used at SumUp: Java / Kotlin / Go
- You have a good understanding of software architecture and application design
- You have experience with distributed and fault tolerant systems
- You have a passion for clean, maintainable and testable code
- You value team over individuals and autonomy within your team
- You are humble, transparent and enjoy working with the people around you
- You are proactive and able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Awesome if you
- Enjoy mentoring fellow engineers and love sharing knowledge
- Have experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Feel comfortable with Unix/Linux environments
Why you should join SumUp
- You’ll have the opportunity to put the foundations of next generation payment platform
- You’ll have the opportunity to make an impact as we work in flat hierarchies
- You’ll have the space to drive your career here and take ownership of projects
- 25 days paid vacation + 1 accumulative day for each year of employment at SumUp
- 10 days educational leave & individual educational budget
- Additional Health Insurance
- Various discounts for SumUp employees and other great benefits
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we're creating tools that help them run their business. With a founders mentality and a 'team-first attitude' our diverse teams across Europe, South America, and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful in doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.