Session: Radical Self-Compassion for Resilient Leadership
The world is more connected now than ever before. From virtual birthday parties to virtual weddings to virtual business meetings, the lines between work, business, family and friends is increasingly blurred. The pressure to achieve, produce and consume is at an all time high. For women leaders this means higher levels of stress that disrupts our circadian rhythms, upsets our hormonal balance and wreaks havoc on our mood changing the way we lead in the workplace and in our lives and ultimately how we are perceived in the world. This presentation offers an inside look at the mind-body science of stress, the long term effects of chronic stress on the gut-brain axis and a practical, powerful new framework for creating deep rest and nourishing renewal that improves energy, creativity, productivity and well-being. Participants will discover a path out of the frenzy and the 'always-on' feeling toward a lifestyle that re-energizes, restores and renews so that they can work, lead and live with joy.
- Participants will understand the mind-body science of stress including the fundamental role of cortisol (the master 'stress' hormone).
- Participants will gain an inside look on the gut-brain axis and understand how stress/cortisol alters circadian rhythms (sleep/wakefulness) and critical hormone balance.
- Participants will understand how disruption in the gut-brain axis, hormone balance and circadian rhythms impact high level decision-making, executive functioning, productivity and ultimately undermines their leadership.
- Participants will apply a practical framework rooted in the neuroscience of mindfulness to create a daily and weekly routine for deep rest and nourishing renewal that improves energy, creativity, productivity and well-being
- Participants will gain a framework that can be applied within their organizations to strengthen their teams and create a healthier, more balanced and inclusive work environment.
Angel V. Shannon MS, CRNP is a personal development keynote speaker, board certified nurse practitioner and founder of Seva Health and The Seva Institute. Her inspiring presentations are drawn from over two decades of clinical practice and lifetime study of integrative health and mind-body medicine. Her engaging workshops and seminars teach people how to intentionally create a foundation of specific health practices that will help them achieve better health and continuous personal improvement in every area of their lives.
Angel doesn't just talk about mind-body medicine, she lives it. As a student of T’ai Chi Chuan and having received her teaching certification in hatha yoga, she is a pioneer in weaving both wisdom traditions into her clinical and private coaching practice. In 2019, she founded the Seva Institute to bring these ancient contemplative practices into the corporate environment by leading corporate workshops in mindfulness based stress reduction to help participants overcome work related stress, develop inner resilience and foster a culture of embodied leadership.
A graduate of the University of Maryland and a member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, Angel’s talks, teaching and clinical practice are always one part science and one part storytelling as she shares the inspiring stories of the many people she's helped successfully lose weight, reverse chronic illnesses and rescue their mental health to reach peak performance in their lives. In addition to managing her busy clinical and coaching practice, Angel is the host of Healthy House Calls With Angel, a podcast filled with tips, tools and strategies to live longer and live better with lifestyle medicine. Learn more about Angel Shannon on her website www.sevahealthgroup.com or by following her on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/in/angelvshannon .