Session: Art of Tooting Your Own Horn - Be Visible and Succeed
Why are men promoted more often than women? Why are there more men in the C-suite than women? Women and other genders often assume that hard work alone will get them noticed and advance their careers. It’s important to recognize that along with hard work, it’s crucial to share our strengths and contributions. This talk is not about bragging but owning our accomplishments. It’s about being proud of those accomplishments rather than deflecting them or undermining them. I’ll cover the vital role of self-promotion in advancing one’s career, common misconceptions regarding self-promotion and clear actionable tips and techniques to empower and own our successes and advance our career.
- Understand the barriers and negative perceptions that women feel in self-promotion
- Look at the data and research to understand the importance of self-promotion in the workplace
- View self-promotion with a positive mindset
- Talk about accomplishments without feeling guilty and with authenticity
- Use self-promotion confidently as a tool to getting hired and advancing their careers
Mamta Suri is a Senior Engineering Manager at Workday. She’s been managing people all around the world with different cultures and personalities for over 15 years. She has a bachelors degree in Computer Science and Molecular Biology with a masters in Software Engineering Management. She’s been using mindfulness and meditation techniques with neuroscientific principles to boost her creativity, innovation, productivity, and build high performing teams. She is passionate about diversity of thought and fostering collaboration. She also considers herself to be a lifelong learner and believes that we can learn from every person we meet.