Drive the future of collaborative open source development tooling as part of the Launchpad team. This is an opportunity for a motivated engineer with a passion for open source software, Linux, and web services to join our distributed team.
Launchpad is a platform for managing open source development projects. It includes code hosting and review, bug tracking, package building, translations, and other facilities used by free and open source software developers. It provides essential development and collaboration infrastructure for major projects such as Ubuntu.
Launchpad is a mature project, mainly written in Python (primarily Zope, with some Flask). You'll be striking a balance between keeping our business-critical services running and expanding our feature set: among other things, we are currently working on expanding our package building capabilities, improving the development flows provided to our users, and modernising our web UI. If you love keeping large projects well-organised and well-maintained, care about supporting developers, and believe that continuous improvement is the key to innovation, higher velocity, and reliability, you'll fit right in.
Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
What you’ll do
- Proactively collaborate within and contribute to design, architecture, and feature-selection for solutions across distributed teams
- Write high-quality, API-first Python code with unit tests
- Debug issues and produce high-quality fixes
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 times a year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology, working with brilliant people, and solving interesting problems
- You are a strategic thinker
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have proficiency delivering robust code to production, preferably written in Python.
- You have experience and enjoy maintaining and improving large and mature web applications.
- You have experience with databases, ORMs (PostgreSQL a plus), data management, and data modelling.
- You have an interest in, or experience with, integration, infrastructure and operations.
- You believe that robust security requires conscious efforts at every stage of delivery.
- You have familiarity with Ubuntu as a development and deployment platform.
- You have a solid understanding of the structure of various software packaging systems, including Debian/Ubuntu packages.
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, please ask your Talent Partner.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.