Email email@example.com if interested in applying.
Who we Are:
Cortex empowers internal teams to efficiently leverage ML by providing a platform and by unifying, educating, and advancing the state of the art in ML technologies within Twitter. We win when our customers (Twitter ML Engineers, Practitioners, internal stakeholders, etc) win by helping Twitter’s users stay informed, share and discuss what matters; by serving the healthy public conversation. We’re building an AI-first company and every major initiative is increasingly dependent on the successful application of machine learning. Cortex is at the nexus of this evolution.
Our team of ML software engineers are constructing one of the strongest machine learning platforms in the world by marrying the latest ML industry practices with engineering excellence and the need to perform at Twitter scale. Our goal is to provide tooling that allows Twitter engineers to focus on what they are good at, building ML models, and abstract the way the complexities of experimenting with and bringing these models into a production environment with novel state of the art approaches.
What You’ll Do:
We look for someone who can lead a team of diverse, smart and driven engineers distributed across multiple geos. We need leaders who take an active role in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. A successful engineering manager will:
- Lead a team of talented machine learning software engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems.
- Build cohesive, high-functioning team that thrive in a culture of trust, respect, and inclusion.
- Balance autonomy with guidance by giving your team the tools, context, confidence, and motivation to make decisions effectively and independently.
- Have the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and be comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of incidents.
- Take responsibility for the team’s short-term and long-term strategy. Define the team's roadmap, success metrics, and priorities in close collaboration with other engineering teams and multi-functional partners.
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we develop scalable, highly-available infrastructure that enables product engineers to experiment and rapidly iterate on products that delight our users and customers.
- Be an aggressive source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- Building out Jupyter Notebooks as a first class offering at Twitter that 1) integrates both Twitter and open source APIs, developer tools, and dashboards and 2) is run on both on-prem and cloud based environments.
- Developing a front end user experience to manage experiments and their artifacts by 1) creating an ML metadata repository that represents datasources, features, models, notebooks, and their associated metadata and relationships and 2) developing the front end experience that is enables ML engineers to easily manage, share, and discover such artifacts.
Who you are
- You have experience leading engineers at all levels and you’re skilled at coaching and guiding your directs through their career development.
- You believe in building both teams and infrastructure that scale.
- You have a customer and impact focussed mindset in building software.
- You have a technical background with experience in building large scale distributed systems in a production environment, and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions. Experience with supporting machine learning libraries and systems is a definite plus.
- You have a collaborative working style with a strong focus on disciplined execution and results.
- You like to ground decisions in data and reasoning and solve root causes of problems rather than surface issues.
- You ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of the company and how their work fits into 'the bigger picture.
- You seek diverse perspectives to drive bottom-up innovation and create buy-in from all technical stakeholders inside and outside the team.
- Computer science or engineering background strongly preferred; MS or PhD in machine learning or equivalent work experience a plus.
- Have 2 or more years of experience tech-leading or managing a team of 3 or more engineers building complex production grade software systems
- Experience driving impact through cross-functional leadership.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Exposure to large scale systems and microservices team environment is a plus
- Understand cost of software development / tech debt and long-term maintenance
- You are passionate about technology and can keep up with the latest.
- Experience working with distributed teams across multiple time-zones.
- A strong understanding of the ML lifecycle.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.