Do you have a passion for Data Science and Machine Learning? Do you dream of working with customers on their most forward-looking AI initiatives? Does the challenge of developing modern machine learning solutions to solve real-world business problems in the cloud sound exciting to you? You may be the Senior Data & Applied Scientist we have been looking for!
If you have any questions about the role or the team, please feel free to reach out to the hiring manager: https://www.linkedin.com/in/barbara-stortz/
The Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) team is a global engineering organization that works directly with customers looking to leverage the latest technologies to address their toughest challenges and transform their industries using cloud-based solutions. We work closely with our customers’ engineers to develop code to jointly solve their biggest challenges to accelerate progress in their organization. In the process, we help shape the future of our own platforms by partnering with our product groups to improve them. We pride ourselves on making contributions to open source and make our platforms easier to adopt.
We sit side-by-side with our customers to collaboratively innovate custom solutions tailored to solve their challenges. Our work involves the development of high-impact, open source software assets that contribute to the Microsoft platform that are broadly applicable. We are looking for a Data Science with strong analytical and development skills to join our expanding team.
Be respectful and inclusive – As a group, we work to build consensus with our teammates and customers. We’re looking for the sort of person who enjoys a culture that ensures that all voices and perspectives are heard and considered. Above all you’ll need to be inspired, and inspire others, by the potential of the future. If you want to chat informally about the role, please reach out to us
- Developing and deploying solutions with some of Microsoft’s largest customers for solving business problems using machine (deep) learning and predictive modeling techniques.
- End-to-end execution of the data science process: from understanding business requirements, data discovery and extraction, model development and evaluation, to production pipeline implementation.
- Providing technical subject matter expertise in OSS and Microsoft AI and Data technologies, ranging from helping our product teams understand our gaps, through to navigating our customers to the right technology choices for their business.
We do not believe that any specific education major is a requirement to be successful in this role. We are open to all backgrounds and are looking for candidates with demonstrated ability to deliver on the responsibilities below.
- 2+ years of real-world experience with machine learning algorithms for classification, regression, clustering, reinforcement learning, dimensionality reduction with expertise in one or more application domains of NLP, vision, and time series modeling including some knowledge of the concepts of taking projects to scale in the cloud.
- Fluency in English
- Skilled in Python, experience with Pandas, Scikit-learn.
- Experience with agile development practices and Git version control.
- Experience with one or more of the DNN frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch, Chainer.
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Graph stores, or NoSQL stores.
- Domain expertise in one or more of financial services, retail, marketing, health care, manufacturing.
- Ability to communicate in business and technical settings.
- Enjoy travel and comfortable with regional travel up to 20%
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, EE, Statistics, Operations Research or equivalent technical field.
At Microsoft we are seeking people who have a passion for the positive impact technology can have on the communities and for making a difference in the world. Within CSE, we have an informal and flexible work environment and you’ll be welcome to work from home, our offices, customer sites– wherever is best for you to get your job done. We invest in your health, wellness and financial future by offering a competitive package including a wide range of benefits built around your personal needs and those close to you.
We welcome diversity of all kinds. Our team includes many perspectives, cultures, educational backgrounds, life stages, identities, and technical skills, and we believe this contributes to our success and that of our customers. If you love writing quality code and learning new technologies, enjoy thinking about challenging engineering problems and, above all, if you’re able to lead others to do the same, then we’d love to hear from you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.