To provide Data Base Administration support in SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, Cloudera CDP and other database technologies to ensure a state-of-the-art, stable, scalable, and reliable enterprise computing environment that meets the needs of the organization.
The Data Base Administrator’s primary role is to be the architect, administrator, and subject matter expert of SMUD’s database management software. This position will be responsible for architecture design, planning, installing, configuring, maintaining, and supporting critical systems used by the business. The Data Base Administrator will apply analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues. In addition, the Data Base Administrator will implement system improvements, optimize performance, and increase reliability in a manner consistent with organizational needs and industry best practices.Purpose:Performs professional technical system support and maintenance for SMUD’s databases in the areas of design, development, installation, operation, maintenance and support to ensure SMUD’s use of technology supports its current and future business practices.
Nature and Scope
Serves as a journey-level resource in a relevant professional discipline; works independently on projects of minor to moderate complexity; exercises independent judgment and discretion within established broad guidelines.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
Work may include, but is not limited to, the following: (NOTE: While in general all the functions and requirements listed are essential, individual positions and/or locations may not require all duties be performed.)
- Supports the Districts strategic information technology goals and direction by serving as a technical lead on application database projects; designs, develops, implements and maintains the database systems; identifies potential database management projects.
- Ensures the Districts database systems meet and serve the Districts current and future business needs; conducts feasibility and needs assessment studies; defines functional system requirements and specifications including conducting business process and data analysis; develops technical standards and procedures and system design; recommends improvements and modifications to new and existing database system software to improve business processes.
- Prepares procurement and bid documents; evaluates proposals and hardware/software products; procures IT hardware, software and services; develops system and user acceptance tests; plans the integration of new technologies and applications; installs and integrates applications and systems; performs post-implementation reviews.
- Maintains and operates systems; monitors and troubleshoots moderately complex problems using established processes and methods.
- Provides technical solutions, support and user training on software issues to ensure database users optimize the database infrastructure; provides technical consultation to business units to minimize downtime; troubleshoots hardware, software and applications problems; documents problems and fixes; provides 24-hours on-call support.
- Establishes training needs; develops training plans, procedures and materials; conducts training sessions, and performs post-training evaluations.
- Assists in planning, reviewing and conducting work activities and researching required project information associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plan/contract.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Any combination of education and experience that has provided the necessary knowledge and skills will be considered qualifying.
Knowledge Of: Principals and concepts of relational and network data base management; DBMS performance tuning and troubleshooting techniques; network and mainframe configuration and design; principals and concepts of data management; operating concepts for multi-user, multitasking operating systems; concepts and principles related to implementing technology solutions; methods and techniques of data access; techniques and practices for problem research and resolution; techniques and practices for resolving complex technical issues; concepts of centralized and distributed computing; characteristics and operational needs of various organizational units; methods and techniques for planning, organizing and overseeing work activities; procedures and practices for monitoring and managing projects; methods and techniques for training staff; basic principles and practices of budget preparation and administration; office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and appli- cable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases; English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation; safety policies, practices and procedures.
Skill To: Plan, develop and implement automated solutions for business functions; build, maintain and test corporate database environments; plan the installation of new releases of database software; install and maintain database management software such as DB2, MS SQL Server and Oracle; ensure the integrity of all physical database objects; establish database procedures; create storage groups, databases, tables and views; assist in establishing backup, recovery and restart procedures; analyze procedures/systems and develop/implement operational improvements using information technology systems software, tools and processes; utilize logic and analysis to identify the advantages and disadvantages of different approaches; read and interpret plans, diagrams specifications, program languages and contracts; develop an estimation of how a system should work under ideal conditions; analyze and model business processes and data; conduct feasibilities studies; identify and assess training needs for staff; express ideas/facts clearly and concisely to individual or groups, taking into account the audience and nature of information; stay abreast of new IT technology, tools and methods to develop and support business applications; plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines; operate office equipment including computer terminal, systems and software relevant to the job; compile and prepare technical, statistical and/or analytical reports and presentations; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally.Licenses/Certificates:Certificates in information technology and/or a products/technology related field from educational institutions or vendor certified programs.
- Strong experience with SQL Server and/or Oracle database administration.
- Experience in DB2, Cloudera CDP, and other database management systems.
- Experience with SQL Server or Oracle databases supporting Enterprise-wide applications such as ESB, GIS, EDM, OMS and/or MDMS
- Strong grasp of RDBMS concepts.
- Experience working with Windows Server Failover Clusters (WSFC), especially with SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups.
- Experience writing complex SQL statements and stored procedures in TSQL and/or PL/SQL
- Experience with shell scripting, especially Windows batch, ksh, bash and/or PowerShell
- Experience in Windows Server administration, especially security, storage, patching, performance troubleshooting, services, and event logs.
- Experience with UNIX and/or LINUX. A good understanding of UNIX security. The ability to navigate easily in the command line interface using shell commands.
- Experience with configuring Windows certificates in both a Windows and LINUX environment.
- Understanding of Active Directory concepts such as user/computer accounts, Service Principal Names, managed service accounts, and kerberos.
- Understanding of DNS concepts.
- Understanding of cloud technology will be an added advantage
- Experience in backup technologies such as Commvault will be an added advantage
Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Additional Posting Info for Candidate:
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) - Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers.
Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
California Equal Pay Act
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are a part of who we are and how we do things. Supporting efforts that promote pay equality is part of that. Salary placement for the selected candidate will be determined in alignment with the California Equal Pay Act or the applicable MOU. Determination for salary placement of internal candidates will be made without respect to current classification or compensation, and will be based upon the candidate's qualifications as compared to those performing substantially similar work. In the event there is a guaranteed pay progression outlined in an applicable MOU, the MOU takes precedence.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles to deliver a culture that reflects the broader values of the community and our customers. Our Board's policy for Employee Relation sets our commitment to developing and maintaining a high quality, inclusive workplace that engages and inspires employees to commit to SMUD's purpose, vision and values.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state's sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country's top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er's aren't far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.
This position may be eligible for SMUD's remote work employee benefit, the schedule of which will be determined by the successful candidate and the Hiring Manager. SMUD takes pride in powering the Sacramento region community where we live and work. We value the strong working relationships we develop with our colleagues. Our approach to remote work will continue to evolve. Please be aware that should SMUD’s business needs change, emergencies occur, or various other reasons arise, you may be required to report onsite on a part-time or full-time basis