The Payments Self-service Squad is enabling the global SumUp merchants to run their business as smoothly as possible by providing them with accessible and intuitive self-services for accepting card payments. We strive to turn transactions into interactions and are inspired by creating products which our customers love. If you are excited by problem-solving and motivated to make an impact for our million merchants, come join our squad.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you’ll lay the foundations of our new services and lead the migration of our legacy ones to a more resilient, more scalable tech stack. You’ll also share your expertise to help us optimise product discovery and delivery, and elevate engineering practices.
What you’ll do
- Actively participate in selection of new tools and technologies
- Build capabilities which bring value to millions of users
- Support existing features and services
- Constantly set and actualize best practices with the team
- Collaborate with product designers, product managers and other key stakeholders to clarify problems, outline opportunities, prototype solutions and build awesome products
- Play a key role in the entire development lifecycle, from product discovery to delivery
You’ll be great for this position if
- You have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science/Information Technology;
- You are proficient in one or more of the following languages: Golang, Java
- You have experience with microservices architecture and Restful APIs
- You have experience with SQL (PostgreSQL) and/or NoSQL storages
- You have solid debugging, optimisation and problem-solving skills
- You are self-motivated, proactive and know when a rule should be broken
- You have the ability to write clear, concise and testable code that your teammates can understand and build upon
- You are fluent in English - you'll be part of a truly global company!
- Have experience with Ruby or Ruby on Rails
- Have experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Feel comfortable with Unix/Linux environments
- Enjoy mentoring fellow engineers and love sharing knowledge
- Have previous experience in the payment industry
Why you should join SumUp
- You'll have high autonomy and wide choice of different technologies to experiment with and master
- You’ll be part of a team that tries to learn from each other irrespectively of level. We believe code reviews make us better developers.
- You’ll have the space to drive your career here and take ownership of initiatives
- You’ll have dedicated time and budget for learning
- You’ll be able to attend global offsites/hackathons/team events
- You’ll have a competitive compensation
- 25 days paid vacation + 1 accumulative day for each year of employment at SumUp
- Additional health insurance
- Various discounts for SumUp employees
- Attractive referral program
Our team’s health and wellbeing is always our top priority. As a result of the covid-19 pandemic we are currently working fully remote but we are monitoring closely the situation and once it is safe to go back to the office we will also offer:
- Transportation to/from the office building
- Multisport cards
- Office relaxation activities such as yoga and massages
- Innovative office design featuring an amazing Sofia view, a music room, events forum space, fully equipped kitchen facilities, and cozy meeting rooms
We believe in the everyday hero. Those who have the courage to follow their passion and who have the strength and determination to realise their dreams.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we're creating powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that small business owners can be successful doing what they love.